Saturday, October 30, 2010

October First Monday

Seems like I've been spending a lot of time in Canton, Texas lately, but so be it!  First Monday is the largest flea market in the country, and it happens in Canton once a month,  on Thursday through Sunday prior to the first Monday of each month.  A little confusing, I know, but when you live nearby, you get the hang of it.

Today dawned cool and sunny, a perfect day for the trip.  My friend, Jeanie, offered to drive, and by the time we were halfway into the 45-mile trip, traffic increased tremendously.  It was easy to spot the ladies who shop:  their noses were pointed due east and you could see their shopping carts in the back seats of their vehicles!  We arrived in town at 8:45 a.m.; it took almost hour due to all those determined shoppers! Here's Jeanie, ready to go, and me, debit card in hand.



Canton has a population of 5,000 people.  During First Mondays, it swells to 200,000.  I think the natives must be incredibly patient to put up with everything that goes on each month!  The shoppers were in the holiday mood; since tomorrow in Halloween, many were in costume, and people-watching (one of my favorite sports) was very rewarding...







Lots of shoppers, as always, had their dogs with them.  I think about taking Rose the Rat Terrier sometimes, but I'm not sure she'd like the noise and crowds.






Because of the upcoming holidays, there were even more treasures to discover than usual.  This trip, we spent a lot of time at the outdoor booths, as inside was beyond crowded.








Here's some regal seating for a cowgirl and his cowgirl, complete with a cooler built in between!

This lilac glass was really pretty!
I couldn't help but wonder where on earth this man was taking the chicken rug!





We stayed for about six hours, until we basically couldn't walk anymore.  By 3 pm, our cart was full, plus I was carrying two extremely heavy old windows that I bought to use in my booth at the Rockwall Christmas Art Market in December.

Luckily, I'll have a month to recuperate before I go back again!

No comments:

Post a Comment