Saturday, September 4, 2010

West Fest

The little town of West, Texas is about 100 miles southwest of my house.  Founded by Czech immigrants in the late 1800's, every Labor Day weekend the people of West celebrate their heritage with a festival called West Fest.  I was on the road by 8 a.m., and the day was gorgeous...one of those bright blue Texas skies that can't be beat.

I made it to West in time for the parade, and the town was hoppin!'  Cars were parked nose to nose, and people sat on every inch of sidewalk space waiting for the parade to come by.  I bypassed the "traffic jam," and drove around the residential area looking at some of the older houses.  I found a cute yellow one with white trim for sale.  It was built 1910, and the asking price was $74,500.  A bargain!  I eventually parked near the end of the parade route, and had a great view for photographs.  People in the parade threw candy to the kids, and they were as excited!  Old cars, tractors, several floats, and lots of Volunteer Fire Department trucks wound around West.  It was great!














After the parade, I drove over to the actual West Fest.  Pavillions were set up, a midway sparkled with rides, the smell of meat smoking perfumed the air, and people in Czech costumes were everywhere.  It was a visual feast, and I enjoyed every minute.  The polka music was fun, too! Thanks for coming along for the ride!
















1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! hope this comment comes thru'. Your work is awesome and themsome.

    ReplyDelete