Sunday, May 16, 2010

Where I Come From

I spent five days last month visiting my family in Alabama, and in looking through some of my photographs from the trip, I wanted to share these with you.  My favorite is this one of my father.  It was taken on his 83rd birthday.  He's always been an outdoorman, and age hasn't changed things one bit.  When my sisters and I asked him what he wanted to do on his birthday, he said he wanted to show us a tree with a hole in its trunk.  Poor Dad; he'd always boys but got three girls instead! We proceeded to drive out in the middle of the country, park off the road, and traipse downhill through river rocks and meadows (where this was taken) until we got to his tree.



The main reason we'd all planned the trip to Alabama was my Aunt Mary Belle's 90th birthday party. You'd never know she's ninety; she's young at heart and keeps active with church activities, quilting, and enjoying her family.  The party was hosted by her daughters, Diana and Kathy.  They did a great job, and I'm guessing there were at least 120 guests.
My Mom lives nearby.  Here's a photograph of her.  She looks great for someone who's almost 79!  We were able to spend time with her, as well, mostly shopping, lunching out, and doing girl things!
I never drove to Alabama before I moved to Dallas, as Phoenix was much too far away.  So the first time I drove in the spring, I wondered what all the red stuff was all over the sides of the freeway.  My Dad quickly set me straight, saying it was the Crimson Clover (as opposed to crimson clover)...as in the CRIMSON Tide.  Thanks, Dad...you know I'm not much of a sports fan!

1 comment:

  1. "79" - your Mom looks awesome!
    Got to love your Dad and his simple life Vickie! Jan P.

    ReplyDelete