Friday, August 22, 2014

Haven

When I was a teenager I thought Jerome, Arizona at night looked like someone had taken a handful of diamonds and thrown them up on Mingus Mountain. Many years later, Jerome is still my go-to place, and I'm lucky enough to spend time here several times a year. It's a place of magic and twinkling stars, of sunrises that illuminate the little town, and, for me, contentment.

August weather in Arizona is usually on the hot side, but this year it's much cooler. Jerome is about an hour and a half north of Phoenix, at an elevation of 5,000 feet, and today the weather was absolutely perfect.  Breezy, no need for an air conditioner, amazing. I always stay at my favorite bed and breakfast, The Surgeons House, and I always get this room if it's available.
I brought my good friend Susan along this time, and she's staying just down the hallway in the cutest room ever.



Andrea, the owner, has a yard where you could sit for days.  It has a beautiful view of the Verde Valley, but the yard itself is a green oasis, even when you feel you're sitting on top of the world.

Here's Susan checking it out.




And here's Andrea, explaining something new she's added to the patio. She's absolutely passionate about providing the very best accommodations to all who stay here, and she's become a dear friend of mine.


Susan and I walked down for a bite of dinner. As we finished, twilight settled in, and soon it was dark. See you all tomorrow.





1 comment:

  1. Welcome back! See ya tomorrow, enjoy the weather, it's AMAZING, isn't it??? I'm out with the chickens and COLD this morning!

    ReplyDelete