Sunday, September 13, 2015

Day Six - Musee des-Beaux Arts de Dijon

I'm convinced that the best way to get the feel of a new place in France is to rent an apartment or home. It's less expensive than a hotel and much, much more spacious. Earlier this afternoon, I returned to my apartment after a morning of visiting the Musee des-Beaux Arts, followed by lunch at a little tartine (open-faced sandwich) shop. I was tired, and thought about blogging, but decided to wait until later in the day. The sun was out, so I pushed back all of the magnificent shutters, and opened the impossibly tall (fifteen feet or more), skinny windows. A breeze came billowing in, and in minutes the entire apartment smelled of fresh air. As I stretched out to rest on my bed, I noticed the sun slipping away. Halfway in nap mode, I heard thunder moving in closer and closer, until it seemed right overhead. The air turned cool, and that's the last thing I remember for almost four hours! I awakened to the sounds of cars driving past on the now wet road outside my apartment, and it was very cold inside. Back went the windows and shutters, closed into place, and now I think I shall post some photos from the museum. The museum, by the way, was opened in 1787, and is housed in the palace of the Dukes of Burgundy. Thanks, as always, for joining. me. And, by the way, there is nothing like a nap in France!























3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you took time out for a little rest. Vacation and naps go hand-in-hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would adore to be at this museum! Is the altar tomb/tablet tomb a reproduction of that for a specific Duke of Burgundy? The sculptures and panel paintings are mesmerizing. Thank you for letting us discover this place! --from an envious Gail K

    ReplyDelete